Garbage Disposal Repair
Garbage disposals are designed to last for at least several years with no operating problems. Eventually, they do break down. So when you need your garbage disposal repaired or a new disposal installed, call your friends at Amigo Plumbing.
Most Common Disposal Issues:
• Not receiving power – This may seem like an obvious solution, but sometimes the cord comes loose, either from the wall or inside the unit itself. Make sure that it is plugged in, the switch is on, and that the outlet is putting out power. It could be as simple as a tripped breaker or GFCI outlet needing reset.
• Overload – Most garbage disposals have a feature that automatically shuts them off before they get too hot. This feature prevents them from breaking from overheating. You can try hitting the red reset button on the bottom of the unit, however, if this doesn’t work, then you can try the hex wrench trick listed next.
• Jammed If your garbage disposal is jammed, you may be able to fix it yourself. On the bottom of the unit is a spot to use a 1/4in hex wrench to help free the impellers. Insert the hex wrench into the hole on the bottom and move back and forth. You don’t need to actually turn it, just move it back and forth. Then try turning the disposal on again.
• Stuck Object – This can range from a piece of silverware to a piece of food wrapped around the blades. Do not try to remove the object if it is sufficiently jammed! If you are going to try to remove the object, make sure to unplug the disposal before you put your hand in the drain.
• Clogged – These issues can be caused from a variety of things. Sometimes congealed grease, hair, fibrous food, dirt or something else can cause a clog in the disposal or the drain. No matter what the cause, it’s a problem that needs to be fixed. Please contact Amigo Plumbing to clean out the clog. Our plumbers will use products that are safe for your drains. Additionally, it may be necessary to clean out the P trap, and if the clog is severe, the line may need to be cleared.
• Leaks – There are a few reasons that a garbage disposal may be leaking. All the multiple inlets, outlets, rings, connections, and seals, you could spring a leak a leak at any given time. The most common places for a leak are between the unit and the sink, the dishwasher connection, a crack in the body or the drain/discharge pipe.
There is one additional problem you might experience here in Arizona. Our water is filled with plenty of dissolved minerals and has a high acid content. The chemicals can eat right through the drum of less expensive disposal units.
Amigo Rooter & Plumbing can fix any problem and help advise you on the type of unit that will handle your disposal needs.
Call for a quote today: (602) 446-6576